Why complicate a recipe? Mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar. That is all that goes in the dressing for coleslaw. What makes it a great crisp tasting coleslaw? Salting the vegetables beforehand.
Crisp Cabbage & Carrot Coleslaw
|Inactive:||2 hours and up to 2 days for salting vegetables|
|Can recipe be doubled?||Yes|
|Make ahead?||Yes, up to 2 days before adding dressing and it keeps well for another 2 days after dressing has been added.|
5 cups (1 lb)(450g) cabbage shredded thinly
1. Mix the vegetables and onions with salt in a colander. After 5 minutes, remix and leave for another 5 minutes. Taste the cabbage. It should be crunchy and salty. Squeeze gently to get rid of excess liquid. If you think the salted vegetables are way too salty, rinse quickly and squeeze once more. Drain in colander. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours and up to 2 days.
2. The salting prepares the vegetables to soak up the dressing and keeps the vegetables crisp and fresh tasting well into the second day.
3. When you are ready to eat, combine dressing ingredients until sugar dissolves. Mix into vegetables.
4. I like to leave it for 10 minutes for flavours to soak into vegetables.
5. I always serve this alongside my Slow Cooked Pork Sandwiches and on hotdogs. I have been known to sandwich the coleslaw in between two slices of bread. Unconventional but yummy.
(1) This is great party food as you can make it in large quantities and prepare it quite some time in advance.
(2) Remember to salt the vegetables, you will not get weepy coleslaw once you salt your vegetables. Do not skip the step.