Creamy, wholesome and peppery fresh. That’s how I would describe this sandwich. I know of a few people who can eat a sizeable amount of these sandwiches whenever I make them.
Egg And Cress Tea Sandwiches
|Inactive:||5 + 20 minutes|
|Makes:||8 finger sandwiches|
|Can recipe be doubled?||Yes|
|Make ahead?||Yes, a day ahead, well covered in the refrigerator.|
1 Tablespoons diced onions finely
1. If using watercress, the top leaves are more tender. Use those.
2. If using radish sprouts/wasabi sprouts, use top 1″(2.5 cm) and snip into two.
3. Any leftover vegetables can be used for other dishes. Scroll down to ‘Tips’ for ideas.
4. When measuring 1/2 cup worth, fill cup loosely and do not pack it down.
5. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and sugar over the finely diced onions. This flavours it and removes some of its sharpness. Set aside 5 minutes.
6. Then, place the onions on paper towels, gently squeeze and pat dry. Set aside.
7. Chop eggs into small cubes. Do not mash it up.
8. Into a large bowl, mix in the light sour cream, mayonnaise, onions, pepper and salt. Scroll down to ‘Tips’ for suggestions to use up the light sour cream’.
9. Fold in the chopped eggs and then the watercress/radish sprouts/wasabi sprouts.
10. Butter 8 slices of bread. Distribute the egg mixture and add a few more greens if you wish. Cover with bread slices.
11. For easier slicing, enclose sandwiches in a lidded container and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
12. Trim crust off and slice into 2 finger sandwiches.
What to do with the leftover greens?
(2) Pesto: Replace conventional basil with cress. Makes for a nice change in taste. I use just the leaves.
(3) Use in an omelette
Recipe for 1 person:
2 eggs beaten with 1 Tablespoon water, pepper and salt to taste. 1/2 cup of leftover greens, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese, 1 Tablespoon butter. Warm up butter in a pan, add eggs, on medium-high heat cook until almost set without breaking up the omelette. Add greens and cheese towards the end just to heat through. Fold omelette in half, make sure egg is cooked and remove from pan. Sprinkle with pepper and serve. I like this with garlic rubbed crusty bread and a side of tomatoes drizzled with extra virgin olive oil.
What to do with leftover light sour cream and radish sprouts?
(1) Make a Smoked Salmon Pasta with a Radish Sprouts, Light Sour Cream Sauce
Still have more light sour cream?
Please read the post under, Smoked Salmon with Dill Butter Tea Sandwiches for more ideas.
WHAT’S COMING UP NEXT?
Top plate: Classic Victoria Sponge Cake, Checkerboard Cookies, Sweet Milk Scones.
Bottom plate first layer: Egg and Cress, Roast Beef with Beetroot, Crisp Cucumbers.
Bottom plate second layer: Roast Beef with Beetroot, Salmon with Dill Butter, Ham with Honey Butter.