You would most likely have a mushroom recipe in your repertoire and I am sure it is good. This is mine. Very basic. Very simple.Remember to add and stir in the minced garlic only after you have turned off the burner. That removes the raw taste while keeping the garlic flavour at its best.
Garlicky Mushrooms In Balsamic Vinegar
|Prep:||~ 5 – 10 minutes|
|Cook:||~ 5 – 10 minutes|
|Can recipe be doubled?||Yes|
|Make ahead?||Yes. Make it the day ahead but do not add the minced garlic until after you reheat it through before serving.|
1 cup = 250ml= 8.45 US fl oz
8.81oz (250g) sliced button mushrooms
1. Add the diced onions to the bottom of a cold frying pan. Drizzle just 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil over it.
2. Set the pan on the burner and fry over medium-high heat until the edges are brown.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms and fry until they look similar to the ones in the image below (~3 – 4 minutes).
4. Add the salt and pepper and fry for 1 minute.
5. Add the balsamic vinegar, the last 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and stir to mix. Taste and adjust seasonings for salt, pepper and acidity (balsamic vinegar) to suit your taste.
6. Turn off the burner and stir in the 2 minced garlic cloves. Garlic has to be minced please. I use my Microplane grater. After stirring garlic through, leave on the burner for 1 – 2 minutes for the garlic to warm through. This remove the ‘rawness’ from the garlic while keeping its essential flavours.
7. Serve hot or at room temperature. Can be made a day ahead. In that case, do not add the minced garlic until after you have reheated the mushrooms.
(1) Vary your flavours
You could add herbs, either dried or fresh, to vary the flavours of this dish so you aren’t serving the same thing once too often. Dried oregano taste nice and the ubiquitous fresh parsley works well too. Add dried herbs at the same time as the mushrooms. Fresh herb(s) should be added at the same time as the salt and pepper.
(2) Make it a meal
The mushrooms could easily be served over pasta to become a vegetarian meal. I bring cooking/whipping cream to a simmer, throw in a pinch of salt, toss cooked pasta in the cream and finally stir in the mushrooms.
WHAT’S COMING UP NEXT?