A deli rotisserie chicken makes putting this meal on the table easy enough. I love the fresh crunch of the whole grapes. It offers a burst of juicy sweetness between bites of savoury meat and vegetables.This dish is as good as the chicken stock and rotisserie chicken. Use the best ones you can get your hands on and serve it at your next dinner or party to oohs and ahhs.
Rotisserie Chicken Stew With Grapes In Peppery Milk Sauce
|Serves:||~3 – 4|
|Can recipe be doubled?||Yes|
|Make ahead?||The vegetables could be cooked, cooled and refrigerated the day before. 20 minutes before you are ready to serve, bring it back to a gentle boil then add milk, roast chicken, etcetera.|
1 cup=250ml=8.45 US fl oz
3 Tablespoons oil
1. In a deep pot, over high heat, fry the onions, red bell peppers and celery in oil until soft.
2. Add the chicken stock/water+chicken stock granules, potatoes, carrot, dried oregano and ground black pepper. Cover and bring to a boil.
3. Uncover. Continue to cook over medium-heat until potatoes and carrot are soft. The liquid should have reduced by ~1/4 – 1/2.
4. Add 3/4 cup milk and when it comes to a simmer, add the cut up chicken, nestling it at the bottom of the pot. Top up with more milk if necessary to bring the liquid halfway up the sides of the chicken.
5. Bring it back to a simmer so that the chicken is heated through. Taste for saltiness and add salt now if required. Stir in the grapes. Turn off the burner.
6. Dress with the parsley/coriander leaves and any of the optional ingredients: cut chillies, crushed dried chillies, capers, cut lemons. Serve.
This is very much a meal on its own as it has proteins, vegetables, carbohydrates and even a fruit! However, the sauce is really tasty and to stretch it further, you could choose to serve it with: Buttered pasta (fettuccine is my favourite as the larger surface area allows maximum sauce absorption), butter rolls or butter rice.
WHAT’S COMING UP NEXT?
What’s this? Osmanthus Cookies.