This is a statement drink. It screams “I’m purple! Drink me!”
It’s berries season and whilst you could use fresh berries, I find it convenient and more economical to use a bag of frozen summer berries for the purpose of making lovely thirst quenchers. This recipe is highly flexible. Keep the 3 base ingredients: Summer berries, peach and ginger. Play around with ratios of the 3 ingredients if you wish. Then add a juice of your choice to it. My suggestions of juices: grapefruit, pineapples, apple, apple & rhubarb and coconut water are those that I had tried and enjoyed. This ‘purple drink’ is best served topped with soda water (or prosecco!) so that you can enjoy the fizz on a hot day. Alternatively, try what I had done and instead of topping with soda water, top completely with coconut water. Delicious too but I do enjoy the fizz of soda water!
Summer Berries, Peach, Ginger Thirst Quencher
|Makes:||~ 4 -6 glasses|
|Can recipe be doubled?||Yes|
|Make ahead?||Keeps refrigerated up to 5 days. Keeps well frozen 2 months.|
3 Base Ingredients
1. Place frozen fruits, peaches with syrup, ginger, 1/2 cup of your chosen juice and sugar in a blender. Blitz until it’s smooth.
2. Have a deep pitcher or pot ready. Set strainer over it. Drain the puree through strainer to remove all seeds. You should have ~ (2 cups) (1/2 litre) of fruit cordial. Bottle them.
3. Choose to either refrigerate or freeze.
1. Fill a glass with 1/4 – 1/3 cup of fruit cordial, add enough ice to almost fill glass, top with soda water or top with the alcohol option.
2. Stir, insert straw and sip away.
These are great to take to a party or to give away. Pretty them up with some homemade labels or just stick on some adhesive labels. If taking to a potluck, don’t forget to bring along the soda water or whatever you choose to top up the cordial with.
WHAT’S COMING UP NEXT?