A little salty anchovies goes a long way to flavour these grilled peppers. Apart from serving it as a side dish, use it in pasta, pizzas, egg omelettes, sandwiches, over grilled chicken, fish, salads … I’m sure you can think of even more ways to use them. Sometimes, I serve it as part of a meze.
I like meze style of eating and entertaining. It is casual dining and a lot of work can be made in advance. Here’s my North Africa, Mediterranean and Middle East inspired meze table. Recipes are in this blog post, Meze, A Selection Of Wonderful Little Bites.
And, here’s another meze table inspired by a trip to Greece, Greek Meze, Another Section Of Wonderful Little Bites. Click link for recipes.
Grilled Red Peppers In Anchovy Caper Dressing
|Oven Temperature:||Grill on high|
|Can recipe be doubled?||Yes|
|Make ahead?||Peppers can be grilled the night before.
After it is dressed, keep tightly covered up to 3 days.
2 red (bell) peppers/~ 1 jar of grilled red (bell) peppers
1. If using fresh red peppers, grill them whole under the grill/broiler over high heat until the outer skins are somewhat blistered and blackened in spots. Remember to turn them as they roast. Once well roasted, keep it in an airtight container. This will make it easier to peel off the skins.
2. When cool enough to handle, peel off skins and discard. Discard the seeds and inedible core. There will be quite a bit of liquid from the roasted peppers. Keep it as it can be used to flavour soups or stews. Do not rinse the grilled peppers.
3. If using grilled peppers from a jar, drain off liquid but don’t throw it out as yet.
4. Cut or tear grilled peppers into strips. Set aside.
5. Roughly drain off the 5 salted anchovies of oil. Cut them finely. Transfer to a little dish.
6. Pour into it, 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, 2 teaspoons of capers , 1.5 teaspoon of the capers soaking liquid over it and enough chilli/black pepper powder to taste. Use a fork and mix in.
7. Mix anchovy caper dressing with the strips of peppers. Taste and adjust seasoning. Does it need some of the grilled peppers liquid or more anchovies, chilli/black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, capers soaking liquid?
8. Cover and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. Taste better after 2 hours and will keep 3 days refrigerated.
1. Peppers can be roasted a day ahead and refrigerated without peeling.
2. Peppers can be flame roasted over an open flame but it will get messy as the juices from the peppers very often drips down. Line stove with aluminium foil to make clean up easier.
WHAT’S COMING UP NEXT?