This recipe is for a very basic side dish of carrots that can be served with roast of any kind. Not only is it tasty, it’s so very quick and easy to prepare that it appears on our dinner table often enough with or without a roast.
Quick And Easy Honeyed Carrots
|Cook:||5 ~ 10 minutes|
|Makes:||~1 lb (450g)|
|Can recipe be doubled?||Yes|
|Make ahead?||Actually taste just as good the next day.|
1 lb (450g) carrots
Measurements in this recipe serve as a guide as it’s best to adjust seasonings to suit your taste.
1. Peel skins off carrots and slice into finger-length sticks.
2. If using fresh herbs, slice them finely.
3. Place the sliced carrots into a saucepan that comes with a lid.
4. Pour ~1/3 cup water over the carrots. The water should just come half way up the carrots.
5. Sprinkle ~1/4 – 1/2 salt and dot with ~2 Tablespoons butter. Cover saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat for ~ 10 minutes or until carrots are cooked. You might have to turn the carrots half way through cooking to avoid burning as the liquid might have boiled down. You don’t want too much liquid anyway. Just enough for a sauce is fine. Discard some liquid at the end of cooking if it is too liquid (that is, before you add herb and butter in Step 6).
6. Turn off the heat, add the herb and stir in. Then drizzle the honey and the 1 Tablespoon butter. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Leftover Honeyed Carrots
In our household, leftovers if not heated through to eat are turn into ‘Honeyed Carrots And Mashed Potatoes Mash’. We cook some Mashed Potatoes (butter, milk/cream, salt and pepper… recipe coming up next). Honeyed Carrots are roughly mashed and then folded into the Mashed Potatoes. Serve warm. It’s quite the comfort food.
WHAT’S COMING UP NEXT?