I wasn’t going to post this ‘recipe’ as it is so simple but since I uploaded the image on Instagram, I had been asked to include it on my website so that the ‘recipe’ would be just a click away and as someone else added, “At the very least, just let us drool over the image.”
Open Sandwich Of Egg And Prawn
|Prep:||~5 -10 minutes|
|Cook:||~ 3 – 5 minutes|
|Can recipe be doubled?||Yes|
|Make ahead?||Egg and prawn can be cooked and refrigerated 2 nights ahead.|
1 hardboiled egg*
1. Place prawn in small pot, cover with water, add ~ 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover pot and bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer for 2 – 3 minutes or until prawn are pink and cooked through. Turn off the burner.
2. Drain off water. Let prawn cool and then peel off and discard shells and heads. Remove and discard any dark vein running down the back of the prawn.
3. Split each prawn into 2 length-wise. Set aside.
Prep cucumber and boiled egg
1. Using a pinch or 2 of salt, salt the cucumbers for ~ 3 minutes. Gently squeeze out excess liquid.
2. Slice the boiled eggs.
Assemble (use feature image as a guide)
1. Butter the 2 slices of bread.
2. Arrange an overlapping row of sliced cucumbers over the top of the slice of bread.
3. Divide sliced eggs between the 2 slices.
4. Drizzle a touch of mayonnaise over the eggs as this will hold the prawn in place and prevent it from shifting.
5. Top with 2 prawn slices per bread slice.
6. Push capers onto mayonnaise so that it doesn’t slide.
Try you hand at baking your own bread.
(1) Open sandwiches will look stunning on my Black Bread!
(2) Try making a loaf of Spelt Bread or Whole Wheat Bread